WITNESS simulation in Vertex was introduced in September 2002 and models built so far
- 5 call centres
- Scan, index and process Housing Benefit claims
- Printing and enveloping machines
- Conversion strategy customer flows
The background of the Case Study
A contact centre for Utility client with 7 different call types by homeworkers with a
second site support for one call type and some dual-skilling of agents, ringfenced inbound calls and document handling.
The Issues Faced were:
- Service Level below target
- Abandon rate above target
- Two calls types ringfenced (stand alone areas)
- Shifts optimised within constraints
- Cost constraints
The potential Solutions contemplated were:
- Extra staff with multi-skill agents.
- Overflow into document handling.
- Blend with ringfenced call types with a network skill sets for homeworkers.
- Second site.
WITNESS simulation was used due to the complexities that cannot be modelled using Erlang and Excel (multi-skilling, blending and overflows) and the need of forecast of performance required and the comparison scenarios.
The simulation allows the comparison of scenarios with extra staff, multi- skilling benefit, overflow rules, blending rules and staffing, call duration, call volumes, and network skill sets.
The conclusions of the Case Study were:
to use a combination of extra staff and multi-skilling, only overflow with 30 agents available, strive to reduce duration and volume and limited benefit in investment in network skill sets.